In the midst of this crisis, Divorce Recovery Louisville welcomes, inclusively, anyone who faces the end of a committed relationship. We meet every week to offer emotional support, share practical strategies, and provide a sense of community for people considering divorce, going through it, or rebuilding a life afterwards. We help each other pick up and reassemble the pieces of our lives.
Not sure what you'd get out of a support group? A brief, useful overview of how support groups work, and how they differ from group therapy, is on the Mayo Clinic's website.
(To be absolutely clear, Divorce Recovery Louisville is not a dating group -- think of it as an undating group, where you learn to live comfortably with yourself before you even think about living with someone else again. If you are looking for hook-ups or romance, keep looking. Elsewhere.)
We met on Sunday evening from 5:00-6:30
in the education wing of Crescent Hill Baptist Church
2800 Frankfort Avenue, Louisville, Kentucky 40206
Please use the lobby entrance on Birchwood Avenue.
- Get Help with immediate needs and crisis management
- Find Information about legal issues, or see our book list
- Seek Support as you move through divorce, or
- Start Anew with parenting, finances, jobs, or relationships,
the pages under the menu tabs above will show that there is a lot of help out there. While we can't guarantee any of these resources (see the disclaimer), we trust that they will lead you to information you can use.
We don't provide listings for individual therapists, law firms, etc.; we do provide ways for you to find them, but there are simply too many to keep up with, and we also don't want to seem to be endorsing some rather than others. So we primarily list volunteer, non-profit, and governmental organizations, but do include, for instance, local law firms as providers of online information rather than as providers of legal services.
Here's a one-page PDF summary of who we are and what we do. Please feel to download, print, or otherwise share in any way you feel appropriate.
1. Here's one we just found - an exceedingly well-organized site called How to Divorce at Findlaw.com. No matter what your role in the divorce, this is information you will need.
2. If you are only going to read one book about the divorce process, make it this one: Marriages End. Families Don't. Divorce Wisely.: The essential handbook for navigating the process of divorce by Suzanne E. Grandchamp, Esq. IngramSpark, 2015. Kindle and paperback, 200+ pages, under $20. Available on Amazon.
3. We are pleased to provide a 30-page PDF version of Divorce Manual - A Client Handbook, formatted for printing, from the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Its primary purpose is to explain the general process of divorce in American courts and to explain the lawyer-client relationship. It answers questions ranging from "How long will my divorce take?" to "May I spend money on my lover?" The on-line version is at AAML.org
4. For a very thorough on-line summary of the legal aspects of divorce in Kentucky, look no further than (where else?) DivorceInKentucky.com. The information is provided free on a site belonging to Hoge Partners, PLLC, a Louisville law firm that specializes in family law. Divorce Recovery Louisville does not make recommendations about divorce attorneys; we do, however, appreciate this resource.
One of our support group members recently wrote on Facebook about recognizing and leaving an emotionally abusive marriage. She has given us permission to publish the post here.
We are now Divorce Recovery Louisville. We had been the Louisville Divorce Recovery Support Group since 1982, and did not make the change lightly, but needed a clear, consistent identity for...
Divorce Recovery Louisville
So... shorter name, same reliable and confidential support. See you Sunday evening!